Sunday 15 April 2012

Can I have your t-shirt?!

So a couple of weeks ago I was running to catch the dart(I told you it would feature a lot).Anyone who knows dart stations will know that Tara street is one of the most horrible ones.There are a set of steep escalators to the southbound platform.They are not designed for running...neither am I but I had two minutes to catch the train and if I missed it I would have to wait 40 mins in the cold.I decided I would brave it and run.I ran as quickly as I could,my bag rattled on my back and I began to regret carrying my laptop and books in with me that day.Nobody else seemed to feel a sense of urgency but I continued to run,clambering up the steps.About three quarters of the way up I fell down with a thud.Mortified, I got back up quickly,ignoring the pounding in my knee.I let the escalator do the rest of the moving and hobbled onto the train.

I thumped my bag down beside me and held my leg out for inspection.As I looked down my jaw dropped.My once navy tights were covered in blood.I searched my pockets for tissue but to no avail.My knee continued to drip.The pain was so bad I began to sob.I sat there feeling sorry for myself,there was nothing I could do.I looked around the carriage,there were few people.I had chosen to sit in the isolated booth with two sets of seats(people usually sit there if they want to drink).An older man sat across from me so I asked him for a tissue."I don't have one"he grunted.I smiled and went back to my original position,disgruntled at society.

I sat there for what felt like an eternity.Watching the door.Checking my pockets.Looking for split ends.The older man left and a new younger one arrived.My knee throbbed and I continued to feel sorry for myself.The young man sitting across from me glanced over occasionaly.His sandy hair fell over his eyes and he flicked it back with his fingers.His green hoody looked tired and washed out and his jeans moulded nicely to his legs.His shoes were warn out and his hands looked artistic.They were rough but from art not hard work.His skin was sallow and brown stubble peeped through it around his chin.His eyes were deep brown,the type you could get lost looking into.He was carrying a rucksack and he tapped his foot to the beat of his music.He looked like the type of person I would like to be friends with....in my dreams maybe.I knew I looked a state but I asked him for a tissue.
"Oh no,I'm really sorry,I don't'he replied as he rummaged through his pockets."Normally I would,sorry"he continued.I could hear sincerity in his voice,kindness in his smooth accent.His words were slow and gentle and they flowed like music.His voice matched his appearance.The type of voice I could get used to listening to.

I told him that was okay and I left him to his tunes.Within minutes I saw him glancing,flicking his hair.I tried to ignore it,looked out the window,looked for more split ends.Checked my knee,maybe it had suddenly got better.It continued to throb,I began to sniffle.He wouldn't hear me through his music surely.

I saw him glance over again."Are you okay?"He called as he walked towards me.He sat down beside me and began to rub my arm.(Being my awkward self I edged away,I pushed my back up again the window).I looked at him through teary eyes.He could tell by looking at me I wasn't.I explained what happened and showed him my knee.As I did the tears began streaming.He glanced at my knee and he moved to the seat opposite me.He inspected it,I could see the concentration in his face.His sandy hair swept over it and he flicked it as he came back up to look at me.He asked me did I have anything to wipe it with and I said no(if I did I wouldn't have asked for a tissue!He may have looked nice but he wasn't good at common sense!).He stopped for a minute,as if he was thinking and then frantically began to undress(don't panic!I'm a good,Christian girl remember!!)I watched in confusion,stared more like.There he was sitting opposite me,topless with his t-shirt in his hand.'Take this"he said.I didn't even think and took it.I couldn't help but stare at the half-naked man across from me.His body was so perfectly formed,his skin smooth.He had one pronounced freckle on his shoulder(is it weird that I remember this?!)I looked at him in dismay,'are yyyyou sssure?'I spluttered,it was hard to form sentences I was so taken a back.This was such an awkward moment,I didn't know what to do.I looked at the t-shirt,it was white and Hollister and I was about to stain it with my blood.I hardly knew the guy!!I took it anyway and held it on my leg while he continued the conversation,his soft voice was soothing.He was so calm.He asked me where I was going and I told him,he offered to stay with me 'til I got home.I so badly wanted him too but I told him it was fine.I reluctantly handed him back the t-shirt,covered in blood.I apologised for my awkwardness and he smiled.He rubbed my arm and whispered,'take care'.I didn't want him to leave but I let him.He waved as the train passed and dissapeared into the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment